While driving, you encounter dusty and muddy roads. Even a road with moisture on it can make your tires and wheels dirty. You will agree with us that the tires and the wheels attract a lot of dust and grim. After every drive, you will notice a certain amount of dust on the tires & wheels. Regular trips lead to wheels accumulating dust over time, and hence you need to clean your wheels and tires. Brake dust is also another major contributor here. As you apply brakes, the compound on the braking pads shaves off, and it turns into the dirt, which usually sticks to the wheels. Apart from all these things, the tires attract a significant amount of oil and grease.
Your wheels and tires also deserve special attention while you are cleaning your car. Continually ignoring the tires and the wheels can impact the performance. You do not have to visit a professional cleaner to get all the dirt off from your wheels. You can do it at your home if you have a reliable wheel and tire cleaner. If you are using the right cleaner, you will be able to clean the stuff quickly. You won’t have to stress yourself while cleaning, and the results would be clean and shiny alloy wheels.
There are many different options available on the market, and we are going to help you in exploring these options. You can buy one of the tire cleaners that we have listed for you in the section below, and it is going to deliver the best possible performance. Let us now move ahead and take a look at what is in store for us.
Best Buy Wheel & Tire Cleaners
Here, you will find the best tire cleaners that are available in the market. I have carefully studied the pros and cons associated with each of these tire cleaners. Only after doing a complete analysis, we came up with the review of these tire cleaners. If you need more information about any particular wheel cleaner in the list, then we would advise you to visit the product link associated with the wheel & tire cleaner that you like. Also check my list for best wheel cleaning brush.
Let us now move ahead and check out the different options available.
1. Wheel Cleaner by CarGuys – Wheel and Tire Cleaner
If you are looking for nothing but the best wheel cleaners, then go ahead and buy this formula from CarGuys. This car cleaner has a pH-balanced formula, and it is also environment friendly. Road salts can often damage the metal on the rim, but this formula is very helpful in getting rid of the road salt accumulations. It effectively cleans the tire, and after every spray, you witness sparkling clean wheels. You can use it even on the chrome wheels as it is non-corrosive.
Since this is a concentrated solution, you will have to use it in minimal quantities. It sticks to the wheel, and hence it cleans all the particles and residue very effectively. If you do not mind spending a little extra on a premium wheel cleaner, then this can be the best choice for you. In addition to this, you can also choose an 18-ounce pack or a 1 gallon pack.
- It is an acid-free formula that helps you get rid of salt grime and winter grime.
- It is also highly concentrated, which means that you will have to use it in minimal quantity.
- This wheel cleaner can be used on any type of wheels, and it is also an environmentally friendly option for you.
- This is a slightly expensive option.
2. Sonax (230200-755) Wheel Cleaner Full Effect
It is crucial to ensure that the wheel cleaner that you are buying is acid-free. If you are also looking for such a product with adequate cleaning power, then you can consider this wheel cleaner from Sonax. You will be able to use this cleaner with alloys and even with painted wheels. It is also safe to use this cleaner with chrome wheels. A lot of people also use it on motorcycle wheels. Do not worry about the damages to the ecosystem because this cleaner is compliant with the standards laid out by VOC.
Visual indicators help in ensuring that the wheel cleaner has completed its job. The best thing about this wheel cleaner is that it changes its color once the cleaning is complete. So, you will notice that from the yellow, it turns red. The whole process takes about 10 minutes. After the color changes to red, you can rinse and wipe your wheels. This cleaner from Sonax is also very effective in removing the baked dust from the brakes of the car.
- This cleaner has an acid-free formula that works effectively.
- The cleaner changes the color to red once it has cleaned the dirt thoroughly.
- It can even remove the baked dust, and the cleaner is also VOC compliant.
- Nothing that we could notice.
3. Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Wheel and Rim Cleaner
At number 3, we have a gel that is available from Chemical Guys. This product is available in the form of a concentrated gel. You need to be diluted the gel with water in a ratio of 1:6. After you dilute it, you can use a brush to apply and scrub the wheels, or you can even use a sprayer to spray the liquid on the wheels. Once you apply the solution to the wheels, the cleaner starts doing its job. It effectively removes the grime, and at the same time, it also breaks the dust. Within a few minutes, you end up with a shiny, spotless wheel.
There is no need to scrub the solution as this wheel cleaner doesn’t need any scrubbing. The solution is also pH neutral, and hence it can be used on any surface. You can check out this product from Chemical Guys as well.
- This gel is a pure concentrate, and hence even a small bottle lasts very long.
- You can use this with painted wheels, powder-coated wheels chrome wheels, and even with the wheels that have a carbon fiber lip or a vinyl wrapping.
- It is a highly versatile solution that can either be sprayed or applied with a brush.
- This product is a gel-based cleaner, and you need to dilute it before the use.
4. Adam’s Wheel Cleaner (16oz)
At number 4, we have a color-changing wheel cleaner liquid. You can use this spray on all types of wheels. You can even use it over vinyl or on dipped wheels. The solution works very effectively in cleaning the grime and the brake dust. The solution is blue colored, but after application, it turns into purple. The change in color indicates the completion of the cleaning activity.It is one of the safest options you will find for your car.
The brand also offers a satisfaction guarantee to you. If you are not satisfied with the performance, it will return the money. While purchasing this wheel cleaner, you can opt for a 16 oz.Pack, 1-gallon pack of a 5-gallon pack. You can even buy a bundle that comes with a soft scrub brush.
- The contents of this cleaner have a thick consistency thatreadily sticks to the wheel.
- It changes color to purpose once the cleaning action is done.
- The formula is compatible with all types of tires & Wheels. It is an acid-free as well as an eco-friendly option.
- Some users reported that the solution could cause skin irritation.
5. Meguiar’s G-9524 Wheel Cleaner
Do you often encounter extremely dirty wheels? Well, we have a cleaner that can be a practical choice for you. This cleaning solution from Meguiar’s helps you with the effective cleaning of the extremely dirty wheels. It sticks to the vertical surface of the rims, and it starts the cleaning action by dissolving any kind of grime and dust. This solution is specially designed for clear coated and painted wheels. After spraying the coat of the cleaner, you will notice the dirt and grime breaking down.
Once the cleaner has completed the working action, you can simply rinse it off with water. There is no need to use the brush to scrub it off. There are other variants available from Meguiar’s. If you have aluminum wheels, then you can buy the blue option, and if you have the chrome wheels, then you can buy the red variant of this wheel cleaner. There is also a milder formula available that can clean all types of wheels and tires.
- It cleans the wheels very quickly, and you can clean extremely filthy wheels with the formula.
- You can use it with the clear-coated wheels or with the factory painted wheels.
- It is available at an affordable price.
- It can cause eye and skin irritation if it comes in direct contact with eyes or skin.
6. Black Magic 800002223 Bleche-Wite Tire Cleaner
In the market, there is a variety of wheel cleaners available from Black Magic. You can check out this product as well, and it is available in different sizes. You can choose between 32 oz., 64 oz., and a 1 gallon pack. This wheel cleaner has a fast-acting formula that quickly removes the grime, brake dust, and oily residue from the tires. It is compatible for use with the black wall tires & whitewall tires. It effectively cleans the walls, and it also removes the soil that sticks to the tire. There is no need to rinse the wheels after applying this wheel cleaner. You can spray it and wipe it off.
The brand recommends you to wear eye protection and gloves while you are using this tire cleaner. It is not mandatory to wash it with the water, but you can choose to do it. There are different types of wheel cleaners available from the brand, and you can check out all of them.
- It is easy to use this tire cleaner as there is no need to rinse it after the use.
- It is available in a variety of packs, and that gives you a lot of options.
- This wheel cleaner is compatible with all types of rims and tires.
- Nothing that we could notice.
7. TriNova Wheel Cleaner Rim Cleaning Spray
The next option available on our list is from TriNova. It is an effective cleaning solution that can remove the dirt, dust, and oil residue effectively. It helps you in restoring the shine of the vehicles, and it effectively removes the stains from the rim. You will be able to use this cleaning spray with the clear-coated wheels, alloys, painted wheels, and even with chrome-finish wheels. Since the solution is acid-free, there is no chance of any damage.
If you have tires with the white walls, you will be delighted to know that this wheel cleaner will effectively clean the white walls. The formula is a concentrate that can easily clean the grime, the road salt, and all other types of residue. It gives you a showroom like finish after every use. You just need to spray it, rinse it and wipe it later with a soft microfiber towel.
- This wheel cleaner is suitable for all types of wheels, and it doesn’t cause any damage.
- The wheel cleaner can is acid-free, and hence it is also safe to use.
- It comes in a spray bottle with an extra-long tube which ensures that you use all the solution in the bottle.
- Nothing that we could notice.
8. Mothers 05924 Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner
At number 8, we have a tire cleaner for the people who are looking for an affordable option. Yes, we are talking about the wheel and tire cleaner from Mothers. This wheel cleaner is a foaming solution that removes all the dirt and dust from the wheels. Since it has foaming properties, it also effectively removes the oil residue that has been sticking to the wheels of your car. You can use it with most of the wheels except for the motorcycle wheels.
The spray is good enough for the black wall and white wall tires. It cleans not only the rims but also the tires. Since the liquid is available in the spray gun, it is easy to apply it and wash it later. After the application, you just need to wait for a few minutes, and then you can rinse it with the stream of water.
- It is a foaming wheel cleaner that improves the cleaning action of the liquid.
- There is no need to dry this tire cleaner after rinsing it.
- The formula is acid-free, and it is also one of the most affordable options you will find in the market.
- This product cannot be used with the motorcycle &Aluminum wheels.
9. P&S Detailing Products N26
If you are looking for a wheel cleaner that is available in the bulk pack, then you can check out this option from P&S Detailing Products Store. This cleaner is an acid-free solution that works very effectively on the brake dust and grime. It has a foaming action that sticks to the dirt, and hence it becomes easy to wash it off. The solution is suitable for cleaning the oily residue, and it can even remove the mild corrosion from the rims. There are multiple pack options available, and you can also buy this product with a cleaning towel.
It is a multi-purpose cleaner that can work with the tires as well. You can use it with white-walled tires, and the foaming acting cleans any dirt sticking there. The bulk pack is also available at an affordable price, so it is worth the purchase.
- It is available in multiple options, and you get a towel with the purchase.
- It is a foaming solution that not only removes the dirt, but it also removes the oily residue.
- This cleaner a non-acidic solution,and it works well with all tires.
- Spraying bottle is not a part of the pack since this is a bulk purchase pack.
10. Carfidant Ultimate Wheel Cleaner Spray
We are now going to tell you about the last wheel cleaner that we have on the list for you. This specific option is available from Carfidant, and it is a good option for all types of wheels. You can use it on the clear-coated wheels, chrome wheels, painted wheels, polished wheels, dipped wheels, and all other types of wheels. The formula is pH neutral, and hence it causes no damage to the tires or the rim. It ensures that the rim remains safe, and it causes no issue if you accidentally spray it on the car’s body.
After spraying the cleaner, you can leave it for some time, and then you can rinse it. The spraying action results in the clean, spotless wheels, and you are going to love them. It has a fantastic cleaning power, and you can even use it on the motorcycle. If you are looking for something affordable and effective, then you can buy this wheel cleaner spray from Cardidant.
- It is one of the most versatile sprays in the market. It can work on all types of wheels and tires.
- It is safe to use, and it is an acid-free solution.
- The brand offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee to the users.
- Nothing that we could notice.
How To Choose The Best Wheel and Tire Cleaner
You have been through the list of the tire & wheel cleaners. You can order any of those products but, if you would like to explore more products, then let us take you a step further. We have listed this guide for you, which will help you in choosing a wheel and tire cleaner yourself. Below are all the points that you must consider before you start exploring the market for alternative products.
→ 1. Type of Cleaner
Start by looking at the type of cleaner that you need. You can spray some products directly be on to the wheels and tires. You will also come across gel-based products that can be applied directly or that need to be mixed into the water before you use them. Apart from this, there are many other types of cleaner. Start by shortlisting the kind of solution that you would like. In terms of ease of application, the water-based spray cleaners are the easiest to use.
→ 2. Acid-Free Solution
The next thing to consider is the pH levels of the cleaner. You do not want anything acidic because that be very corrosive. The acidic cleaners are going to destroy the chrome, steel, aluminum, and any other metallic component. If sprayed on the painted surface, the wheel cleaner can even damage the pain. In some cases, the acidic solution will damage the rubber of the tire as well. The best here is to steer clear of any wheel & tire cleaner that is acidic. We are firmly against the purchase of acidic cleaners.
→ 3. Application Process
You need to understand the application process associated with the tire cleaner. Can you simply apply it and wash it away? Do you need to scrub it? Do you need to mix the cleaner in the pressure washer? Consider all these points that are important for the effective use of the tire cleaner. We recommend something that can be sprayed, scrubbed, and washed off. The scrubbing action helps in removing all the stains very effectively. It is certainly time-consuming to scrub the wheels, but it is a manageable task during your car maintenance schedule.
→ 4. Type of Wheel
Some cleaners need to be used for a specific type of wheels. You will come across the cleaners that are effective for chrome. You will also find the cleaners that you can use with steel. Our advice here is to check what kind of material used in manufacturing your wheels. Once you are aware of the composition, you can then check out a chemically compatible formula for the stuff that your wheel’s structure.
→ 5. Additional Equipment
This point correlates with the application process, but we thought it would be vital for us to shed some light on this aspect. While buying the wheel & tire cleaner, you can check if the cleaner needs any other tool or equipment. Most of the cleaner would just need a cloth to wipe off the wheels. There are some cleaners that you require you to use a wheel brush or a pressure washer. They can add to the cost if you do not already have this equipment. If you have a pressure washer, then there is no issue in buying any solution. Otherwise, you can simply check if you need any of these things.
→ 6. Quantity
The next important thing here is the quantity of the content. You can buy a small spray bottle in the beginning. Once you are satisfied with the performance, you can order a bulk pack. The bulk packs are usually cheaper, and they are going to help you in getting rid of frequent reorders. Wheel and Tire cleaner is something that you will end up using a lot of in the one year time. Considering that, you can order a supply of months or whatever is feasible.
→ 7. Price
The last factor in the buying guide is the price of the wheel cleaner. It is worth checking the price per gallon. Checking the price will help you in ensuring that you restrict within your budget. Also, we firmly believe that you get what you pay for.
So, we recommend you to invest in the right quality wheel & tire cleaner because these are the two most essential parts of any car.
Wheel & Tire Cleaning Mistakes to Avoid
Check out the cleaning mistakes to avoid when you are cleaning the wheels & tires.
- Not Cleaning the Tire –The first mistake is not cleaning the tire itself. Many people would not clean their tires and wheels. This is the biggest and the most common mistake that we come across on the forums. You must regularly clean the tires to keep them in good health. Cleaning the tire regularly also extends the life of the rubber.
- Not Removing the Pebbles – Now, you would notice that many pebbles stuck between the threads of the tire. Some people ignore them during their monthly maintenance schedule. You should not do that, and you should ensure that you are removing the pebbles. Removing the pebbles is simple, and you need a screwdriver or a plier to do that. Pull the stones, and your job is done.
- Not Removing the Brake Dust – Often, a lot of brake dust will be stuck to the wheels, and it will harden itself because of the baking effect. Not removing the brake dust from the wheels is a bad practice. A good quality tire cleaner can help you remove the brake dust, and it will also keep the wheels shine like new. You might also have to agitate the dust to remove it.
- Not Using a Compatible Formula – Many people use strong cleaning formulas to clean the tires and the wheels. You should certainly avoid that to save the tires from damage. These strong solutions can be very acidic or alkaline, and they can cause cracks in the rubber. Using a compatible product for your tire is the best way to keep the tire safe.
- Scrubbing Early – Many people also apply the cleaning solution on the tires and wash them immediately. You should not be doing that as well. You should leave the solution on the tire for a couple of minutes, and then you should scrub it and rinse it. Leaving the solution for a few minutes will give it the time to act upon the dirt and grime.
- Cleaning The Body First – If you think that cleaning the body first is a better idea, you are not right. You should clean the tires first because you will end up splashing a lot of dirt on the suspension and body. While cleaning the body, you can remove all that grime that splashed upon the suspension and other panels.
- Washing Tires at the Same Time – If you think that you can apply the cleaning solution to all the tires simultaneously, you should revisit your approach. Leaving the cleaning solution on the tire for a long time will also damage the rubber. You should clean one tire at a time, which will also help you prevent any damage to the tires.
- Forgetting the Polish – Many people clean the tire, but they skip the last step. Yes, we are talking about polishing the tire. You must polish your tires using the dedicated tire polish available in the market. This prevents the tire from cracking, and it restores the shine of the tire too. Complete your maintenance schedule with a reliable tire polish.
Wheel Tire Cleaner Frequently Asked Questions
- A wheel cleaner could be used on a tire for cleaning?
It depends on the type of product you are purchasing, you should know that there are three different products available on the market. “Wheel cleaner” formulated only for cleaning wheels or rims, “tire cleaner” formulated only for cleaning tires, and “wheel and tire cleaner” that could be used for both tire and wheel cleaning. So, based on the type of cleaning solution use it. If you use a wheel cleaner on a tire, it won’t make any difference, but just a waste of solution.
- Is it true that using a wheel and tire cleaner could reduce the life of your wheel and tire?
No, it is not true. If you do not clean the wheel and tire regularly, it could destroy the wheel and tire in the long run. Remember, if compared to a tire, a wheel or rim is expensive and prone to damages over time. Cleaning it regularly could increase the lifetime of the rim/wheel.
- Which should be done first, wheel and tire cleaning, or the body cleaning?
If your wheel and tire is too dirty or clogged with mud, oil, or anything, the first thing you should clean is the wheel and tire. On the other hand, if they are not as dirty as the body, then consider cleaning the body first. There is no complicated technical reason for such a recommendation. If you clean a dirty or muddy rim/wheel or tire last, there is a higher chance that dirt or grime on the wheel and tire might splash onto the cleaned body.
- A car wheel cleaner could remove harsh brake dust on the rims?
The basic function of a wheel cleaner is to do the same, yes, they are formulated in such a way that it could remove such harsh sediments, dust, and dirt on the wheels/rims. However, if your wheel cleaner solution is cheap and inefficient, it can’t be done. Consider the products on our list, they would serve the purpose.
- A tire cleaner could protect the tire from cracks and dry rot, this is true? Can they do such a thing?
Yes, some tire cleaner comes with such a formula. However, the level of protection or prevention could vary based on the quality, and do not expect magic. It could offer a basic level of protection only, it does not mean that if you use tire cleaner, no matter what, the tires will be free from dry rot and cracks. If compared to other tires, it would be better that’s all.
- How frequently do I need to clean my rim and tires?
The frequency of cleaning should not be limited, whenever, you feel like cleaning it, do it. However, we recommend cleaning it every time you wash your car. Remember, the more frequently you clean it, the more shiny, attractive, and long-lasting it would be.
- Wheel and tire cleaners are poisonous?
Yes, some wheel and tire cleaners that are harsh are poisonous. It should not be consumed or should not be allowed to mix with any household water source.
Regular cleaning will keep your wheels in a brand new condition. They will appear shiny, and you are surely going to love it. Using a good quality wheel cleaner will also make the job easy for you. You can even ensure if the cleaner that you are buying uses safe material or not. We have listed all the points in the buying guide, which will help you ensure that the wheel cleaner that you buy is safe for your usage.
Some people follow a complete maintenance schedule. The schedule includes cleaning the wheels & tires and then polishing the wheels. Some people even apply tire shiner. This maintenance schedule undoubtedly improves the life of the wheels and tires by protecting your wheels from any kind of oxidation. You need to remove the small rocks and pebbles while cleaning your tire. These rocks can be between the groves of the tires. Removing these pebbles will ensure that you get a good grip when you are cruising at high speed.
So, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and buy the wheel cleaners for your car today. Thank You.